For eras, people have used oils for various remedial and cosmetic purposes. Now, we are using them in many shampoos, serums, and other hair care products. Now you can also use essential oil to make your own hair care treatments.
Essential and Carrier Oils
Essential oils are extracted from the plant itself. They have the signature scent of the plant they came from. And they’re highly concentrated. For example, it takes up to 220 pounds (100 kg) of lavender flowers to make a single pound (45gm) of lavender oil.
Carrier oils (such as coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil and jojoba oil) also come from plants, but they have a more neutral smell. And they’re not essentially purified down like essential oils are.
Here are actual benefits of essential oils:
- Nourish Hair Follicles – Essential oils seep into your hair follicles to nourish them and aid hair growth.
- Balance Scalp Sebum – Essential oils cleanse your scalp and remove excess sebum, thereby promoting new hair growth.
- Strengthen Your Hair – Essential oils contain nourishing properties that repair and heal damaged cuticles, leading to thicker and fuller looking hair.
- Almond oil soothes our hair and moisturizes the scalp.
- Cedarwood oil excites the scalp and promotes hair growth.
- Chamomile’s essential oil adds softness and shine to hair, and soothes the scalp.
- Clary sage oil promotes stimulates the scalp and help in hair growth.
- Coconut oil softens hair and increases shine.
- Geranium oil strengthens hair.
- Jojoba oil moisturizes the hair, adds nutrients, and stimulates the scalp.
- Lavender oil deep conditions the hair, helps control dandruff and keeps it shiny.
- Moroccan argan oil nourishes, moisturizes and provides antioxidants to hair.
- Rosemary oil stimulates the roots, increases circulation in the scalp, and improves hair growth.
- Sandalwood oil helps with adds fragrance to the hair and dry ends.
Other Benefits Of Essential Oils
- Regulate blood circulation in the scalp
- Protect hair from free radicals
- Kill microorganisms and scalp-infecting germs
- Add shine to your hair
- Reopen dormant follicles
- Prevent premature graying
- Improve hair texture
Fascinating! Who knew essential oils could do wonders for your hair? So, it’s time you added them to your hair care routine. We’ve compiled a list of the best essential oils for hair to help you out. Check them out!
1. Lavender Essential Oil
2. Rosemary Essential Oil
3. Peppermint Essential OIl
4. Thyme Essential Oil
5. Chamomile Essential Oil
6. Clary Sage Essential Oil
7. Horsetail Plant Oil
8. Cedarwood Essential Oil
9. Lemongrass Oil
10. Tea Tree Essential Oil
11. Patchouli Essential Oil
12. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
13. Avocado Essential Oil
14. Lemon Essential Oil
15. Pumpkin Seed Essential Oil
Way to Use Essential Oils for Your Hair
You only need some few drops of an essential oil and can mix one or more types in a shampoo or conditioner or mix the drops into 2 ounces of a carrier oil.
Understand that if you put some essential oils directly on your scalp, they may cause irritation that mean irritate your scalp without taking precautions. Read label instructions for how to dilute oils, and never use more than the recommended amount.
If you’re allergic to plants such as ragweed, it need to test the oil on a small area of your skin or scalp to see the reaction you have after applying.
You need to try these common combos:
- Cedarwood, clary sage, and lavender
- Jojoba, clary sage, and cedarwood
After you apply the oil mixture, cover your head in a towel or shower cap.
You can wash out the hair treatment after 30 minutes, leave it on overnight and shampoo in the morning, or use some as a leave-in conditioner. See what works best for your hair texture.